The hustle and bustle of summer means an increase in traffic on the roadways and is often plagued by increased gas prices as well, especially surrounding holiday weekends. School being out for vacation makes summer a very popular time for travel, it also increases exposures to your Personal Auto Insurance and Homeowners Insurance as well. The following tips from WalkerHughes will help you manage risk behind the wheel while away from your home.
Hands at 10 and 2
- When is the last time your vehicle's oil was changed? Routine maintenance can help keep your car running smoothly for years to come! Always check the tires and have the car looked at before you depart on a long road trip.
- Do you know if you have rental coverage on your Automobile Insurance policy? Rental coverage does not extend to wear and tear or break down, but should you be involved in an accident and your vehicle unable to be driven from the scene, rental car coverage would be ideal to help get you home.
- GPS and cell phones are great for navigation, however they are a huge distraction on the road way. Handing the map or the digital map off to a trusty co-pilot can help reduce distracted driving.
- Be careful in construction zones, pay attention to signage and lane markings as they can be confusing if you are unfamiliar with that stretch of roadway and drive at reduced speeds to keep yourself and the roadside workers safe.
Home Is Where the Heart Is
- Keep a low profile. Social media is a great way to update friends and family on your travels! However, social media also alerts anyone watching that your home is unattended. Review the privacy settings on your accounts and wait to post your family memories until you have returned from your trip.
- Notifying a trusted neighbor that you will be away is always recommended so they can keep an eye out for unusual activity and collect your mail for you, so it does not accumulate.
- Is your home a "smart home"? Do you have an alarm system? Cameras? A Nest thermostat to adjust remotely? A Ring video camera doorbell? There are certain technological home gadgets that make keeping an eye on your home a breeze. Make sure everything is set, synced up and fully charged for your time away!
Your Safety Is Our Priority
At WalkerHughes, we are committed to providing insurance policy solutions personalized for you and your needs! Please travel safe on the roadways this summer and travel smart by reducing your risk at home before you depart.
Should you have any questions regarding your Personal Auto Insurance or Homeowners Insurance coverages or policies before you hit the road, please don’t hesitate to reach out! We are here to work for you!